Sunday, August 12, 2007

So Where Exactly is the Ukraine?

The Ukraine is situated on the north shore of the Black Sea and shares borders with a handful of eastern European countries. So I am off to the Ukraine for a month of Russian language immersion in mid-September. My original plan was to go to Vladivostok, Russia on the Pacific Ocean but it turns out that the cost of school was cheaper in the Ukraine. Also, an invitation and visa is no longer required so that saves some $$ too. The airfare was also more reasonably priced.

I will be living with a family in the port city of Odessa doing 6 hrs of individual lessons a day. Although Odessa is in the Ukraine, its a Russian speaking city. It was also the big seaside resort town for the former Soviet Union and is now the place to go if you are in need of a Ukrainian wife.

I know absolutely nothing about the Ukraine so I am really excited to see what life is like in this part of the world. I head out on Sep 19th..

No comments: