Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Another Day in the Bush

The Kobuk Sandunes overtake the boreal forest in northwest Alaska. The dunes lie 40 miles north of Arctic Circle and are part of the largest active sand dunes in the Arctic.

I had another work trip out into the Alaskan bush today. I chartered a flight to take me several hundred miles northwest of Fairbanks to the villages of Kiana and Ambler on the Kobuk River with a quick stop in Hughes on the Koyukuk River on the way back to town. Getting out in the field and seeing rural Alaska is certainly one of the perks to my job. I do enjoy working in the office but I can only tolerate being a slave in front of the computer issuing forecasts for short bursts of time. I try to take another fellow worker with me because I usually need a second hand but I also think it benefits our staff to become familiar with our forecast area. This time I recruited ye ol' salt of the office--Ron Stuvek.

My cooperative field assistant Ron helps me survey in a new river gage in Kiana. The village council will be taking daily river readings for us. They were nice enough to let us cruise around on a 4-wheeler in order for us to get our work done. About 400 people live in the village of Kiana on the banks of the Kobuk River

Curtains of rain fall over the meandering Kobuk River

The kids of Ambler were out trying to catch the first Sheefish running up the Kobuk River

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed-
I enjoyed your Blog site very much. It was good to see your smiling face again. We need to get together once the snow flies to sauna with soup and salad! I really miss living next to you.
Your friend,
-Shawna